Thursday, February 22, 2007

Wingsuit Base



If this video doesn't show up in your browser it may need to download completely which may take a few minutes!

This video isn't of me by the way, just incase you're wondering!

I recently did my first wingsuit skydive, closely followed by five more. It's an awesome feeling to fly horizontally so fast and for so long. One day I want to do wingsuit base jumping which is what these guys are doing to the extreme. This video makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

These are a couple of pictures of wingsuits, so you know what I'm talking about!

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

So whats your wing suit look like then??? you got badger patches on it ????????? ;-)

3:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm ok so bored with looking at this now COME ON you MUST have done something SWEET since then ?? YOU KNOWS IT!!!

Stephen

1:43 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Howdy

I am no aeronautical engineer, but I know a few things about birds, and, I do design funky things that work, like windup toys that move in unexpected ways. In any case, I believe sometimes good ideas can crop up from nowhere, and I have a hunch these two suggestions could work. Who knows?

For the wingsuit, instead of having a cuff edge whereby the fabric has to be held by hand, a glove could be designed connecting the edge of that material to the hand, and, at the same time, this glove could have aerodynamic properties, such as being tipped up to create a type of winglet minimizing drag and turbulence, like so many gliders already use successfully...birds too...

For the chute bag, there could be an extension of the bag itself down the pilot’s back making a more fluid profile from the pilot’s helmet to the lower back to increase lift, and reduce drag. This form would be somewhat similar to the suit for a motorcycle rider that has a fluid line from the helmet to the lower back. Furthermore, the helmet could also be designed to optimize this design.

Best regards, have fun, and be safe;
Chico Bicalho
Rio, Brazil.
chicobic@gmail.com

12:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home