Sunday, February 05, 2006

SKYDIVING

These past two weeks I’ve been skydiving, which is something I haven’t done for over four years, though I knew I would do it again I just didn’t know when. The drop zone is a a little place called Pudding Hill on the very edge of the alps, near the local ski area called Mt. Hutt. The plane ride up to 12,000 ft. is amazing, as long as the fear of jumping out isn’t gripping you too tightly. I’ve done three jumps with instructors, just to make sure I hadn’t completely forgotten which handle to pull. Since then I’ve been out on my own, enjoying the feeling and getting used to falling at 200kph again.

I learnt to skydive 5 years ago, here in New Zealand up at lake Taupo in the north island. My girlfriend at the time and my good friend Steve Ward also learnt and it was a huge amount of fun, particularly after we qualified Steve and I would jump out of the plane together clinging on to each other and laughing hysterically. Being in this country and jumping out of planes again, reminded me how much I enjoy sharing these experiences with good friends.

The long walk back after my first jump (they don’t let you land too close to the hanger incase you try landing on it instead!)


The jump plane. This is an NZ made Fletcher with a 700bhp turbine engine that takes eight passengers to 12,000ft. in about 12 minutes, and comes back down at about the same speed we do!


Atilla, one of our instructors, showing us how it’s done!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

you two take GOOD pictures :-) Man looks like your having a REAL BLAST. We like puzzle tower pics lol. Miss you loads take care :-)

11:25 AM

 
Blogger Francis Mickelborough said...

Cheers guys, really appreciate the comments. Glad you like the photos. I should be getting some in freefall pretty soon!

11:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home